The Gladstone is a buzz with creation and construction today getting everything ready for Grow Op 2017 on Wednesday! Just two days away, we wanted to give you a sneak peak of what’s in store. Below are 5 installations you’ll want to keep an eye out for. See you there!
1. Melanie Billark’s ‘Rewilding’ has created this series of miniature and hermotically sealed wild-life sanctuaries, providing a commentary on the human domestication of nature. Check her out at melaniebillark.com or on Instagram at @melanie.billark!
2. Jordan Duke and Dayne Roy-Caldwell’s ‘Flight’ draws attention to birds in Toronto who are having an increasingly difficult time navigating the urban world due to a lack of green space and resting spots. ‘Flight’ provides respite for these traveler’s in the urban jungle and draws attention to the migration patterns occurring within our city.
Check them out on Instagram: @dayneroycaldwell @j.dukie
3. Michelle Hunniford and Magdalena Milosz – ‘Cracked’ invites visitors to think about their own place within the historical and current processes of industrial agriculture. Michelle and Magdalena want to put animals at the front of our minds and think about what sustainable food really means. Learn more at magdalenamilosz.com or on Instagram @colloq.qolloc
4. Shadi Ramos created ‘Augmented Topography,’ a sandbox where users can actively create topographic forms. Patrons can use the tool to learn about everything from topography and geology to hydrology and the flow of water on the earth’s surface!
5. S.O.S. (Save Our Shells) was created by Daniel Ranger, a sixth-grader in Toronto with a keen interest in environmental issues. In his first public art installation, he is staging an intervention throughout the entirety of the hotel on behalf of snails. By spreading his origami snails throughout the hotel, Daniel is calling attention to the fragility and movements of snails across the landscape and asking viewers to slow down and reflect on the urban wilderness. Learn more at blackbough.com/sos and follow @blackboughstudio on Instagram!
Grow Op 2017 Exhibition Hours:
Wed Apr. 19, 7-9pm | Thurs Apr. 20, 11-8pm | Fri Apr. 21, 11-10pm | Sat Apr. 22, 10am-9pm | Sun Apr. 23, 10-5pm