The following buildings were once part of the Parkdale landscape, but they have now been removed, both in form and in spirit. From the Toronto Public Library’s Parkdale in Pictures, below is a picture of the Queen Victoria School as seen in a 1888 photograph. The building was designed by George M. Miller, who was also the architect for our Gladstone Hotel. Unfortunately, the Queen Victoria School was demolished in 1961.
Charles Frankish, who was a bookseller as well as once being a Parkdale reeve, built this
luxurious villa castle mansion on Dowling Avenue in around 1884. The next owner, Robert Carswell, named the property “Bayview” because of it offered a wide view of Humber Bay. Later, he subdivided this property and moved to a more smaller home on the north side of King Street. In the end, Bayview was demolished circa 1920.
Adam, G. M. (1891). Toronto, old and new a memorial volume. Toronto: Mail Print. Co.. (you can view this book online here)
Laycock, M., & Myrvold, B. (1991). Parkdale in pictures: its development to 1889. Toronto: Toronto Public Library Board. (and this book can be viewed here)