417 | Chinoiserie Room
A room swimming in nostalgic and lavish exoticism edged with a sharp self-reflexive bite.
- Queen bed
- 175sq ft (16 sq m)
- 3 piece bathroom with hairdryer
- West view
- Hypo-allergenic duvet and pillows, 300 thread count sheets
- Studio-size ironing board (full sized ironing board available by calling the Front Desk)
- Samsung Galaxy Tablet with digital concierge system and browser for free internet surfing
- Coffee and tea service in the 3rd floor lounge (7am-10am)
- Fitness facilities available at 99 Sudbury Gym
- Telephone with private voice mail and free local calls
- 20″ flat screen television with premium cable
- All-natural Canadian bath products
- Safety deposit box
Find out more about our complimentary and extra room amenities HERE.
Designed by Millie Chen
Built in 1889, the Gladstone Hotel has been described as an example of ‘unabashed architectural exuberance’ utilizing details from the Greek, Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance eras. The Chinoiserie Room exists within the spirit of freewheeling decorative appropriation, presenting an opportunity for unabashed chinoiserie. Chinoiserie is a term that refers historically to a style of decorative art that is based on imitations (in particular, European interpretations) of Asian motifs – what might be known as ‘Oriental folly’.
“… in the true Chinoiserie décor fairyland, mandarins lived in fanciful mountainous landscapes with cobweb bridges, carried flower parasols, lolled in flimsy bamboo pavilions haunted by dragons and phoenixes, while monkeys swung from scrolling borders.” (Wikipedia)
Making ironic use of chinoiserie, I have concocted a particular blend of cross-cultural influences that acknowledges and simultaneously pokes fun at the postmodern condition by replacing the ‘true’ elements of chinoiserie with contemporary global references. The effect is a room that is swimming in nostalgic and lavish exoticism edged with a sharp self-reflexive bite. The results will stimulate and provoke guests visually, sensually and cerebrally.
The cast of characters that invade the wallpaper: qiling monkey leopard, Baluch tiger, tourist, eurogirl, businessman, genetic ball, CN tower hat, Victorian mourning dress, boy with saw and monkey with saw.