Come Up To My Room 2020: Call for Submissions
Exhibition dates: Jan 16-19, 2020
Submission Deadline: August 30, 2019 at 11pm.
Call for Submissions for Come Up To My Room 2020, the Gladstone’s Annual Alternative Art and Design Event is now open!Application Form
The 17th annual CUTMR happens January 16-19, 2020 in conjunction with DesignTO and the Interior Design Show (IDS). We invite you to submit a proposal as an individual or as a collective; multidisciplinary teams are encouraged. This call is open to Canadian and international participants.
Come Up To My Room (CUTMR) is an annual 3-day alternative art and design exhibition created and produced by the Gladstone Hotel. It’s one of the only places where art and design intersect, with the historic hotel becoming a platform for site-specific, immersive installations. Visitors explore, discover and engage in conversation with the artists. Different from our 37 permanent artist-designed hotel rooms, CUTMR presents temporary projects that occupy and alter spaces in dramatic, conceptual or experimental ways.
Artists are selected based on their body of work and not on proposals. This invitation allows artists to challenge themselves and try new things in this unconventional setting. The unique model allows for the evolution of ideas, risk-taking and an element of surprise. Participants use art and design to converse, connect, collaborate and construct delight in the unexpected.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
This isn’t a typical gallery exhibition with a series of works on the wall! We’re looking for installations created for or adapted to the site and space. 2D and 3D art, craft and design media/projects are accepted. Projects that incorporate video, sound or light are appropriate for selected spaces.
To see what we mean, take a look at projects from previous years.
CUTMR takes over the Gladstone! Projects are presented throughout the hotel.
- Second Floor Installations: Public spaces include walls, foyers, alcoves, ceiling suspensions. Flex studios range in size from approximately 8×16.5 feet to 12.5×15 feet. Submissions for these spaces should be installation-based and immersive.
- 3rd and 4th Floor: Hallways and public spaces are available on our guest room floors.
- Other Public Space Projects:
- Ground Floor and Stairwells – Available spaces include the lobby, café brick wall, stairwells.
- Other Spaces – Got an idea you don’t see here? Make a proposal!
- Ballroom: A special Love Design Party and Love Design Shop installation. This installation is usually on view for one night (Saturday) and one day only (Sunday) as a backdrop for our renowned Love Design Party and the Love Design Shop, a one-day artist/designer market.
- Art Bar: This space is on the main floor, adjoining the Melody Bar and is approximately 24.5 feet long x 12.5 feet wide. Ideal for a collective or group, but solo artists are welcome to apply. An immersive installation or experience – something beyond 2D work on the walls – is required. Artists can consider light, sound, 2D and/or 3D work, video/time-based work, kinetic work, or a combination of these elements.
GUIDELINES AND CONSIDERATIONS
- A key feature of CUTMR is the opportunity for visitors to engage with the artists. Artists must be on site throughout the exhibition.
- Any art or design media is considered, including 2D, 3D and time-based work.
- The artist is responsible for installing the work, and for providing all hardware, materials and equipment for the project, including (if necessary) monitors, media players, speakers, specialized lighting.
- Due to the historic nature of the building, there are installation guidelines and restrictions. At an artist meeting and at studio visits, accepted artists will be briefed on these restrictions.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please submit electronically by end of day August 23, by completingthe online submission form. You must also submit up to 5 images that are representative of your work (instructions in the form). Artists are selected based on their body of work and not on proposals.
There is no fee to apply. Accepted applicants pay a participation fee, and the Gladstone provides a package of support, which includes extensive promotion, events, and a printed catalogue. Work can be for sale, and the Gladstone never takes a commission.
$475 + HST for room installations ($350 for Grow Op)
$175 + HST for public space projects ($100 for Grow Op)
Fee is payable upon acceptance.
NOTE: Many past participants have received exhibition assistance grants and sponsorships from Toronto Arts Council, Ontario Arts Council, and corporate sponsors. The Gladstone will provide a letter to support artist grant or sponsorship applications, upon request.
Included in CUTMR participation fee:
- Space rental for the run of the exhibition
- Exhibition administration, curation and coordination with CUTMR Curators and Gladstone Exhibitions Director
- Exhibition Letter of Support / participation provided upon request toward grant applications
- Viewership of 3300+ guests over exhibition run
- Professional documentation of installations
- Full page in CUTMR printed catalog (2000 printed + E-catalog)
- Inclusion in the promotion, PR and social media outreach (Gladstone followers on Instagram: 26,900; Facebook: 21,350; Twitter: 33,100). Cross-promotion with DesignTO and IDS. Past press coverage has included: Toronto Life, Where Toronto, Canadian Architect, Forbes Magazine, Torontoist, CBC (Stephen & Chris), Azure, Design Lines, NOWToronto, the Globe and Mail, Monocle, BlogTO.
- VIP events
- Opportunity to win DesignTO Jurors’ Choice Award and Design Lines Award (7 CUTMR winners in 2019)
Questions? Email Lee Petrie, Exhibitions Director, Gladstone Hotel