FLY BY NIGHT 2019: Nuit Blanche at the Gladstone — Call For Submissions
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 11, 2019
Fly By Night at the Gladstone embodies the unexpected, pushing boundaries within Toronto’s oldest continuously operating hotel.
We are currently seeking proposals from Canadian artists (solo or group) to transform the Gladstone’s lobby and Art Bar for Nuit Blanche. This city-wide event brings free art installations and performances to venues across Toronto for one night only.Application Form
Two opportunities are available (different artists will be selected for each area):
- The Lobby
Pictured: “Hair Piece” by Anna Rose at Come Up To My Room 2019
- work to suspend over the reception desk and lobby area
- must be very light – suitable materials include paper, textiles, wire, plastic, or other lightweight materials
- can be a single element/structure or multiple pieces that create a unified whole
- size is variable but should be at least 5 feet wide x 5 feet long x 1 foot high
- The Art Bar (a small gallery)
- an immersive installation or experience – something beyond 2D work on the walls.
- artists can consider light, sound, 2D and/or 3D work, video/time-based work, kinetic work, or a combination of these elements
Details about the Art Bar:
- accessed via the Gladstone’s Melody Bar or Queen Street
- approximately 24.5 feet long x 12.5 feet wide
- 3 white gallery walls (front wall is windows to Queen Street)
- power outlets on all walls
- adjustable track lights and fixed lights
- the Art Bar is connected to the Melody Bar, where there will be live performances throughout the evening
- no actual bar in the Art Bar – bar service is in the adjoining Melody Bar. Guests can bring drinks into the Art Bar
- The artist is responsible for installing the work, and for providing all hardware, materials and equipment for the project, including (if necessary) monitors, media players, speakers, specialized lighting.
- Due to the historic nature of the building, there are installation guidelines and restrictions.
The Gladstone provides:
- A $200 artist honourarium for the Lobby and a $500 artist honourarium for the Art Bar, payable upon installation
- Promotional support through Nuit Blanche and the Gladstone’s social media channels (Gladstone followers on Instagram: 26,900; Facebook: 21,350; Twitter: 33,100)
- Curatorial support during project development
To be considered for one of these projects, please complete the application form
Deadline to apply: Monday August 11, 2019