Gladstone Grow Op 2020 – Call for Submissions
Deadline For Submissions: Sunday November 24, 2019
Exhibition Dates: March 12-15, 2020
Grow Op, the Gladstone Hotel’s signature eco-art exhibition celebrates its eighth year. The 2020 edition considers weather. Discussing the weather has long been a Canadian obsession, but the subject has taken on more urgency as conversation about climate change gains international attention. How does weather affect our lives now? What changes will it bring in the future? How do we respond to the beauty and spectacle of weather, as well as its force and power? How will we weather change?
The Gladstone invites installation, sculpture, 2D, performance, digital media, craft and design proposals from collaborative teams, collectives and individuals that engage with the environment, urbanism and ecology through the lens of weather.
Projects may engage participants through sight, touch, sound, and taste to create a landscape of immersive experience. Interdisciplinary collaborations are encouraged, combining creative practitioners such as: artists, biologists, historians, anthropologists, musicians, botanists, architects, poets, craftspeople, chefs, geographers, filmmakers, ecologists, performers, landscape architects, writers, planners, agriculturalists and more.
Visitors explore, discover and engage in conversation with the artists. Different from our 37 permanent artist-designed hotel rooms, Grow Op presents temporary projects that occupy and alter spaces in dramatic, conceptual or experimental ways.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
This isn’t a typical gallery exhibition with a series of works on the wall! We’re looking for installations created for or adapted to the site and space. 2D and 3D art, craft and design media/projects are accepted. Projects that incorporate video, sound or light are appropriate for selected spaces.
Artists do not need to provide detailed proposals – we are looking for an idea you’d like to explore, how you might use the space, and images of previous work.
Make sure to check out this Curator’s Tour with Christine Leu from Grow Op 2019 to see the show in action!
Grow Op takes over the Gladstone! Projects are presented throughout the hotel.
- Second Floor Installations: Public spaces include walls, foyers, alcoves, ceiling suspensions. Flex studios range in size from approximately 8×16.5 feet to 12.5×15 feet. Submissions for these spaces should be installation-based and immersive.
- 3rd and 4th Floor: Hallways and public spaces are available on our guest room floors.
- Art Bar: This space is on the main floor, adjoining the Melody Bar and is approximately 24.5 feet long x 12.5 feet wide. Ideal for a collective or group, but solo artists are welcome to apply. An immersive installation or experience – something beyond 2D work on the walls – is required. Artists can consider light, sound, 2D and/or 3D work, video/time-based work, kinetic work, or a combination of these elements.
- Other Public Space Projects:
- Ground Floor and Stairwells – Available spaces include the lobby, café brick wall, stairwells.
- Other Spaces – have an idea you don’t see here? Make a proposal!
GUIDELINES AND CONSIDERATIONS
- A key feature of Grow Op is the opportunity for visitors to engage with the artists. Artists must be on site throughout the exhibition.
- Any art or design media is considered, including 2D, 3D and time-based work.
- The artist is responsible for installing the work, and for providing all hardware, materials and equipment for the project, including (if necessary) monitors, media players, speakers, specialized lighting.
- Due to the historic nature of the building, there are installation guidelines and restrictions. At an artist meeting and at studio visits, accepted artists will be briefed on these restrictions.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please submit electronically by end of day November 24, 2019, by completing the online submission form (link below). Your submission must include:
- Artist bio
- Statement about your work/practice in general
- The idea(s) you’d like to explore in the exhibition and why these ideas interest you
- How you might consider using the space
- Up to 5 images that are representative of your work (instructions in the form).
There is no fee to apply. Accepted applicants pay a participation fee upon receipt of the contract, and the Gladstone provides a package of support, which includes extensive promotion, events, and a printed catalogue. Work can be for sale, and the Gladstone never takes a commission.
$475 + HST for room installations
$175 + HST for public space projects
Fee is payable upon acceptance.
NOTE: Many past participants have received exhibition assistance grants and sponsorships from Toronto Arts Council, Ontario Arts Council, and corporate sponsors. The Gladstone will provide a letter to support artist grant or sponsorship applications, upon request.
Included in the Grow Op participation fee:
- Space rental for the run of the exhibition
- Exhibition administration, curation and coordination with Grow Op Curators and Gladstone Exhibitions Director
- Exhibition Letter of Support / participation provided upon request toward grant applications
- Viewership of 2000+ guests over exhibition run
- Professional documentation of installations
- Full page in Grow Op printed catalog (1500 printed + E-catalog)
- Inclusion in the promotion, PR and social media outreach (Gladstone followers on Instagram: 26,900; Facebook: 21,350; Twitter: 33,100). Past press coverage has included: Torontoist, NOWToronto, BlogTO.
- VIP events
- Opportunity to win cash awards (2019 awards valued at $4000) (award value dependent upon sponsorships)
Questions? Email Lee Petrie, Exhibitions Director, Gladstone Hotel